Turmeric tea has been gaining a lot of popularity in recent times as a detox drink and today, we are going to enlist all the possible reasons why you must drink this elixir daily.
What is Turmeric Tea?
Turmeric tea is prepared by boiling raw turmeric (in any form) in 2-3 cups of water. You can powder, grate or ground the turmeric and add ½ – 1 teaspoon to prepare your tea. Boil for 10 minutes in a low flame, and let it sit for another 5. Strain the mixture in a cup and your warm herbal drink will be ready. To enhance its taste, you can add half a tsp of honey, 5-6 tulsi leaves. You may even add a few slices of ginger as per your preferred taste.
- Anti-Oxidant Properties – turmeric is a powerful antioxidant and it improves cholesterol and lowers triglycerides. Antioxidants boost your immune system and protect your body from infections. As a natural antioxidant, it prevents or slows down damage to cells caused by free radicals in the body.
- Anti-Inflammatory – As per studies, Curcumin present in turmeric has been shown to suppress inflammation through many different mechanisms. When inflammation happens, your body may feel lethargic, stiff, cold, and even result in swelling. Anti-inflammatory drinks like turmeric tea may help improve the symptoms and keep you in good health. The effects are noticeable after 4 weeks and up to 8 weeks in some cases.
- Good for Heart Health – The antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties of turmeric are responsible for keeping your heart in good condition, and protect you from heart diseases. Always limit your intake to half-1 tsp turmeric per day to experience the health benefits of this tea.
- Helps Manage Diabetes – by decreasing the level of glucose in your blood, turmeric may help prevent diabetes and help you manage the symptoms better if you are already diabetic. Turmeric has been used as a medicine and ayurvedic herb for centuries in India.
- Improves Lung Condition – turmeric helps us breathe better by breaking down mucus and clearing the mucus from our airways. Cold and cough symptoms improve with regular consumption of turmeric herbal tea.
- May Prevent Arthritis – Ease of movement and reduced pain due to the beneficial properties of curcumin present in turmeric are reported by those who swear by this health elixir. Adding black pepper to your drink will help you absorb the nutrients better.
- Improves your Mood – Mood disorders are on the rise and stress is only making matters worse for everyone. Curcumin present in turmeric boosts serotonin and dopamine levels and this, in turn, relaxes the body and produces feelings of wellbeing.
- Gives you a Glowing Skin – the antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties present in turmeric make the skin glow from within and adds luster to it. As an elixir drink, turmeric is popular amongst those who love taking up glow-up challenges. It prevents signs of aging and keeps your skin looking younger and supple.
- Good for Healthy Weight Loss – Turmeric is well known for boosting our metabolism. It’s one of the most well-known benefits of this powerful herb/spice common in Indian households. To consume this drink for weight loss, drink it first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. It should be lukewarm and you may add lemon and honey for additional health benefits.
- Reduces the Symptoms of Cold and Flu – turmeric tea is an effective way to cure the symptoms of cold and cough or any flu-like symptoms. You can prepare any easy turmeric tea and drink it before sleeping to recover faster and to help your body fight the infection.
Some Commonly Asked Questions about Turmeric Tea:
How much turmeric should you drink a day?
A cup of turmeric tea prepared with half a tsp of raw turmeric is good enough to reap all the benefits of this powerful herb. Even in moderation, you will be experiencing all the good qualities promoted by this herb.
Can I drink turmeric tea twice a day?
Yes, it’s safe to drink turmeric tea twice a day. Go easy on other herbal drinks while following a daily routine of drinking turmeric tea. Mix in ginger, lemon, tulsi, and honey to enhance your drink’s benefits further.
Is turmeric tea a Health Elixir/ an Elixir Drink?
Elixir drinks are warm herbal drinks that improve various health functions in our bodies. Since turmeric tea has uncountable health benefits, it’s a well-known elixir drink that improves our metabolism, heart health, lung condition and prevents diseases like diabetes. We need to support our herbal tea drinking habits with other essential lifestyle choices for good health, such as exercising daily, drinking water, and maintaining a good sleep cycle.
Is turmeric tea effective for Weight Loss?
Turmeric tea boosts your metabolism and also helps fight inflammation. This gives you a better chance of staying healthy and achieving your weight loss goals. Detoxing with turmeric tea helps you burn fat and if you practice intermittent fasting along with this habit of drinking turmeric herbal tea, you will see results faster. If you forget your daily intake because of a busy schedule or any other reason, you can get back on it the next day. The benefits of continuing with this habit are immense.
The priority, in this blog, is to supply the reader with clear and unambiguous information. However, neither The New Me nor Gagan Dhawan makes promises or guarantees regarding the completeness of the information found here. The content is not a replacement for the advice of a licensed professional. The opinions expressed in this blog are solely that of the writer’s.